Author Topic: fish skulls articulated poppers?  (Read 1127 times)

shaneA

fish skulls articulated poppers?
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
I was looking on the fish skulls site and saw they had an articulated frog Popper.  The Popper had one of their shanks in it an the hook was floated by some feathers and was point up. The Popper speaker to me but has anyone tried one or a similar Popper with the hooks floating up? Looks like it would do well over the Lilly pads.

Tom Jindra

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: fish skulls articulated poppers?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
Absolutely, making bugs with an inverted hook makes sense. I've always used deer hair bugs, not hard bodies. If you add a bucktail wing to protect the hook point, your bug will be very weed-resistant ... long as you move it slowly.

SWMO

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
The new UV epoxy's make weedguards easy.  Tie it close to the position you want it, then put a drop of epoxy at the base, use ypur fingers to position it and then zap it.  Perfect every time and no threads to loosen.
Wayne, Taney County, Missouri

valvguy1

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
I was looking on the fish skulls site and saw they had an articulated frog Popper.  The Popper had one of their shanks in it an the hook was floated by some feathers and was point up. The Popper speaker to me but has anyone tried one or a similar Popper with the hooks floating up? Looks like it would do well over the Lilly pads.

A year or so again Kyle Moppert taught a fly at RSFF Fly Tying Night.  It was a fly that was being used in Australia as I recall to fish for a bass like fish at night.  Since it was night and blind/dark casting it required a popper that had the hooks inverted.

Actually it was a pretty easy fly to tie.  If you can imagine a round piece of closed cell foam tied on either side of a large inverted hook - then made into the shape of a "breast cancer awareness ribbon which extened beyond the hook.  Then some thick legs were added front the back to resemble a frog.   The two blunt ends near the hook eye go Doll Eyes.  Walla........  weedless, night castable, frog. 

I guess the best way to describe it - if you looked from above was......  it looked like those fish symbols you see on cars   with legs   and eyes on the fish symbols tail.

Gutless Frog Fly - just came to me.

shaneA

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I am processing the balsa now into poppers and will put some together soon and give them a shot.  I like the idea of UV epoxy and bristle guards.

balsa fly rod lures

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
   Here are a few lures that are hook point up none of these are poppers,Ive made plenty of those too,but have no photos.

I've made about 10 of these in different sizes,with rattles.

A double frog I just haven't finished.

A 6/0 3+ inch hook bent as a keel hook.It has a rattle and is to sink slowly to the bottom as a dying fish with it's head floating up for Pike

I cant tell any thing about this one until I can get it in the water

Txredraider

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »
You might want to give the Upside Down Frog a look.  Although this pattern doesn't use the Fish Skullz, it's been very successful for me.  Someone up above there mentioned using bucktail as a weedguard, but I like to use regular deer hair.

This thread details some of the fish I caught on this pattern last year.
http://www.warmfly.com/smf/index.php?topic=6102

Here's the tutorial.
http://www.warmfly.com/smf/index.php?topic=5033

And here are a couple of pretty bass from this year that I managed to fool with it so far.

Jerry Hamon

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
Here's a good video on making one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbBfcBIyy8
Vice President/Education - Texas Council IFFF
TFO - Brand Ambassador
President - Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club