Author Topic: Twisted leaders vs. furled leaders  (Read 1889 times)

fishdreamer

Twisted leaders vs. furled leaders
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
I like furled leaders but I am intrigued by the hand twisted leaders that I have read about on this forum and others. I am attracted to the simplicity of making them. Furled leaders take me about 30 to 40 minutes to make and I have to use a jig. I have read plenty of posts from folks who like the twisted leaders for larger flies for bass and such. I am just wondering about how they do for small flies like for trout or bluegill. A well designed furled leader is pretty stealthy. How would a mono hand twisted leader compare. Is it customizable like furled leaders? Does it spray water like the old braided leaders? I normally fish in still water with a 3 wt or 4wt rod. Would appreciate some wisdom from folks who have used one or both. Tight lines.

Tom Jindra

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Twisted leaders vs. furled leaders
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
I just erased a rather long reply, because the best answer is to try building a hand-furled leader for yourself. And you'd might as well try it, because it's going to cost you nothing more than a piece of mono and a little time.

Since I've never used a jig-furled leader, I won't try to make any comparisons, but the basic technique of making hand-furled leaders is quite simple. The only issue is that you have to keep the tag ends from tangling. Tangling problems increase as you work with increasingly long lines, but I've managed to build 20-foot leaders by staying patient and avoiding the family cat.

Bill Heugel

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:26 AM »
I have used both and made both.  For my type of fishing bass and saltwater I don't see any difference.  The knot in the hand tied leaders might put some folks off but has not been a problem for me.  As Tom says give it a try.  I tie mine on the deck with the ends hanging over and well separated.

qualey99

• Warmwater Fanatic
  • 5 lbs, 8 oz
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Like Tom, I have not used jig furled leaders.  I started using the hand furled leaders about three years ago, and have made them with mono from 6 lb to 15 lbs.  I fish still water, salt water, and occasionally moving water.  I love the way these leaders handle.  If I am making a really long one, I use 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe sections with the tails in it to keep them separated.
The enemy of Good is Better.
Life Member, International Federation of Fly Fishers
Vice President for Membership, Gulf Coast Council, IFFF

rustyhook

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
I have only used furled leaders on 2 through 5 weights so I cant really speak to the the comparison of the two, but I use twisted leaders for most of my saltwater fishing.  Some of the fishing I do requires many fly changes so on most trips I usually take 25 or 30 leaders to last me the week or two that I am fishing.  I started using a power drill method taught to me by a friend from Alaska.  This does two things.  Firstly it speeds up the process as I can make the lengthy first twist fairly quickly and it eliminates the problem with the ends twisting as you go.  Secondly and most important,  it makes for a much tighter twist and a much stiffer leader which is better for heavier flies. 

Recently I have been experimenting with eliminating the knot.  Instead of the usual double surgeons I simply clamp the leader with a pair of hackle pliers and then whip the end with some thread and finally apply some sort of glue before trimming the end close.  So far I have tried flexible Clear Cure Goo and also Pliobond.  I think the Pliobond probably is a little neater.  I havent used this system with large species such as Tarpon but I've fished for Redfish for a couple of days with the same leader with no problems.  And this set up slides smoothly through the guides.

The process with the drill is easy but difficult to explain without pictures.  I will try to give it a shot.

You need a place to work that is 25 ft or so long.  For my 9 ft leaders I cut a piece of mono about 23 ft long.  I tie a loop in each end.  One end affixes to something solid.  In my case it is a nail in a post at one end of my deck.  The other other end is affixed to the drill.  I use a piece of dowel with a cup hook screwed into the end for this.  Now about halfway between the two ends I place a ladder with a board clamped to the step with a nail in the board sticking up vertically.  This is all about the same height off the ground as the nail in the post. 

Now that I'm set up........

first I start the drill and twist the single strand.  It takes some experimentation as to how many turns you twist.  It will depend on the speed of the drill.  For thi example we will say 60 seconds. 

Next I slip the loop off the drill onto my finger.  I have the line resting on the nail that is halfway between the drill and the post on the other end.  I walk around and toward the post end keeping the line taught on the nail that is the center point.  I then connect the loop on my finger to the same nail as the other end affixed to the post.  Now I have the line doubled with the end around the nail on the ladder.  I walk back to the ladder and carefully lift the line from around the nail keeping it taught and with my finger between the lines.  Then I slowly release the end a few inches and it starts twisting.  I work my way toward the post end and it keeps twisting until Im there and it is done.  I tie the end off and start another.

I do the final twist by hand but that as you know goes fairly quickly.

I know this is probably difficult to envision but it is a quick set up and is very quickly done.  There is an initial learning curve as to how long to run the drill but if you need more than a couple of leaders it is very worthwhile.

Linecaster

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
Good explanation and answered my curiosity on whether a drill would work. This will definately
take away the frustration of twisting tangling ends. However it still remains a quick way to make up a furled leader by hand awaay from home on the water so to speak. Thanks for the post.

rustyhook

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
linecaster.......I usually have some extra mono in my kit when I'm fishing.  One of the easiest ways to twist one up is while sitting in a boat with the ends hanging over either side.  This pretty much ends the tangled ends problem which is such an issue when doing it at home.

Catch Cormier

• Administrator
  • Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
I don't often use furled or twisted leaders, but when I do, I prefer a technique I learned from Capt. Paul "Sodie" Sodamann at an FFF conclave workshop. Simple and it works.  Found a video he has on Youtube that might help.

http://youtu.be/pbcVaEe3RIs

Stay thirsty, my friends!

Every man has a vice. Mine happens to tie flies.

rustyhook

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Catch.....that is the classic "twisted" leader done by hand.  furled is a different animal.  I realize he calls it "furled". 

fishdreamer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »
I appreciate the input. I like the drill idea but it sounds a little like my jig and drill routine for the furled leaders. I will give it a try, though, along with hand twisting. My furled leaders are great but a simpler approach is very appealing. I will let you know how it turns out if I can manage to get out fishing. Thanks again.

Craig Phillips

• FlatsLander Guide Service
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
Rusty - twisted leaders are furled.  Furled means rolled.  It doesn't mean twisted to tension with a drill, then allowed to roll together when tension is released.  hand furling and jig furling are just two ways of twisting line together. 

Fishdreamer - hand furled leaders are easy to customize.  Twist up the first two strands, then decide how long you want the butt and mid to be by where you fold it.  I will tell you that lighter line is a bit harder to use.  Until you have several hundred hand furled leaders under your belt as Captain Sodie and I do, and you're looking to make light leaders, I'd suggest using Scientific Anglers tippet material.  It furls really well. 

Craig
FlatsLander Guide Service
www.flatslander.com

Gordon Bryson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
Fishdreamer, you asked about twisted leaders for trout and bream.  I've made furled leaders on jigs for several years, and began doing the hand twisted ones Captain Phillips has demonstrated.  Most of my jig furled leaders were made from .004 nylon (quilting thread) with the weight being controlled by the number of strands used.  On the hand twisted, I've used nylon mono from 6 lbs to 10 lbs.  Most of my trout fishing is on the Lower Mountain Fork River in Oklahoma and in most cases I want the fly to get down deep.  I've found a hand twisted leader from 12 lb flurocarbon works very well on my four weight rod.  I attach a 4 lb flurocarbon tippet giving me a total leader-tippet length of about 7 feet.  Using this setup, my best fish has been a 21 inch rainbow on my last trip to Oklahoma.  I don't get into a lot of the technical aspects of leader construction, as I probably should do, but I don't think the fish worry too much about my humble offerings.  Hope this helps.