Author Topic: Battle with a beast.  (Read 607 times)

Cliff Huntington

• Warmwater Fanatic
Battle with a beast.
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »
It started innocuously enough.  The bride asked what I was doing Saturday.  I told her I had planned to watch the sun set on one of her cousins' ponds, and would she like to accompany me.  Her affirmative answer prompted me to prepare two outfits for battle, including line cleaning, leader change and preparing a box of baits.  I loaded all in the old Suburban and we arrived at our destination with the wind still blowing fits across the normally placid pond.  The sun had yet to drop below the heavily wooded ridge so she played about the dock warming up on bream.

As the shadows lengthened we changed to poppers, her 5 weight loaded with the same type and color popper I'd taken the 3 pounder earlier in the week and my Sage Bass was armed with a much larger version in red and black.  We were going to give them two choices.  She immediately began taking small bass on the smaller popper.

As we worked our way toward the shallow back end of the pond and quiet water, we were entertained by regular assault on both poppers by small bass and nice bluegill.  She had leap-frogged about 20 yards ahead into an area of waist deep water hiding a stump field.  I was in my own little world when I heard her say, "Big fish!"  I turned and was greeted with water flying everywhere and her doing some serious work on a huge fish.  I shucked my daypack, dropped rod, dug the camera out and headed her way fast as my old, crippled knees would allow.  The entire affair lasted about 30 seconds but she had stopped the monster and looked in control, and as I attempted to photograph the big boy and his antics, I heard her say, "He's off."

The bass, after being snubbed down, reversed itself and powered out toward deeper water through the stump field leaving an impressive display of flying water.  The leader parted.  Normally, the 11 pound tippet I use on poppers would have been sufficient, but it likely was nicked or wind-knotted and gave way at one of those weak spots.  We should have checked our leaders more but when you are catching fish, these sort of things get shuffled to the bottom of the list.  I failed in getting a photo of the bass climbing for the sky, but did get this one as the surface of the pond return to it's normal flat state, leaving no evidence of the previous battle that took place.

I still don't believe my bride understands how big a bass she battled, but one look at the trail of debris I left retrieving our camera and heading to help should leave no doubt in anyone's mind that I was pretty impressed with it's size.  :)

"Bass, like other predators, are opportunists, if its close, if they can catch it, and if it fits down their throat, its dinner."  Dr. Hal Schramm

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Battle with a beast.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:16:29 AM »
Sorry she didn't land that fish and provide us with some ooohs and aaahs pictures but that is a great story and the pics of the debris from your sprint is great. Its kind of a Charles Waterman-ish kind of story. Well written.

Kirk

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
Pretty nice. Wish I had a plain pink shirt but guess I'll wear the pink plaid out Tuesday when wind dies....

Bass are very hungry up here pre spawn I have big mama's plucking 7in plus gills off the spydie as well as trying to eat smaller bass I hook.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

qualey99

• Warmwater Fanatic
  • 5 lbs, 8 oz
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
Wow Cliff,
That makes me want this wedding stuff to be over so I can take you up on a late afternoon in Arcadia.  Hope to see you in a couple fo weeks. I'll give you a call.
The enemy of Good is Better.
Life Member, International Federation of Fly Fishers
Vice President for Membership, Gulf Coast Council, IFFF

ScooterP

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
You are a lucky man Cliff. A great place to fish and a woman who wants to fish it with ya. Don't get no better than that, life can be great sometimes.
I tie ugly flies cuz I only catch ugly fish

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »
Good story cliff, too bad she didn't land it.

Boyscout

• Warmwater Fanatic
    • Dereks Fly Tying Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »
Good stuff there Cliff. Very cool.