Author Topic: Perrine Reel Repair  (Read 1487 times)

bob boese

Perrine Reel Repair
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
I've got three 30+ year old Perrine auto reels that are in perfect shape...except they don't work.
Does anyone know of a shop or individual who can help?
Please PM me if you have any info.
Bob
Bob Boese
"So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."
Caseycookadventures.com
(Environmental mystery/adventure novels)

bluegillbob

Re: Perrine Reel Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
Hi Bob,

Bass Pro Shops has a reel repair service. They may help.

Today I was going thru a box of old fishing stuff my dad gave me. In that box I found some old Mitchell spinning reels. I discovered a bad bail spring on an UL spinning reel (Mitchell 309 left hand retrieve). Tommorrow I may take this reel to a local business that repairs reels.

I never knew my dad was a tackle junkie...he bought plenty of Johnson silver minnows, Mepps spinners, and floating Rapalas!

Cheers,

Robert
I'd rather think about God while flyfishing instead of thinking about flyfishing in church!

Kyle Moppert

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54:59 AM »
Any repairs would cost much more than the value of the reels.   Most likely they just need a good cleaning.  As a kid I used to take apart and clean/oil my auto fly reels regularly.

Just be careful with the spring.  It won't pop out with enough force to hurt ya', but it will pop out!

But the real question is "WHY?"  Those old, heavy auto reels were surpassed when we were kids.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:57:28 AM by Kyle Moppert »

sandfly

• Big Meadows Fly shop
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
nothing like casting a surface fly and ripping it in useing the auto reel, really cool to have a fish smash the fly at high speed...
sandfly
shop owner
So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Tom Jindra

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
nothing like casting a surface fly and ripping it in useing the auto reel. ...
As long as you don't go popping the tip off your rod, of course.

Kyle Moppert

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
On eBay:  LOT OF 4 VINTAGE FLY FISHING AUTOMATIC REELS...SOUTH BEND, PERRINE PEMCO, AND 2 I THINK PFLUGER...# 1695 & # 1935...BUYER TO PAY 9.95 S&H...

This has an opening bid request of $9.95... but no bidders

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LOT-AUTOMATIC-FLY-FISHING-REELS-LOOK-NR-NICE-/110844792353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cedd4e21

So for $5 each you can have 4 of these .. HA!  Enjoy!

bob boese

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Kyle,
Not surpassed, replaced.
A good auto on a fiberglass rod is nostalgic and still fun.
Bob
Bob Boese
"So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."
Caseycookadventures.com
(Environmental mystery/adventure novels)

William Henry

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
contact these guys, they may be able to repair your reel.  I've had a number of reels repaired ( Garcia/ Mitchell 710, Bronson royalematic) there.

I would have to see the reel and what is wrong with it! Is it a automatic? or a conventional reel? advise and expain the problem, if its not totaly mesed up we can fix it! allow 3 to 4 weeks labor would be $10.95 plus parts and postage what ever it cost to send it to us it would be the same going back! Our address is (E-Z ACTION PRODUCTS COMPANY  759 Terra Lane Amherst Ohio 44001-1116-07 atten MILT )  ezaction@bright.net  cc our replied to file 27march 2008 23:03 hrs esdt end