Author Topic: Fly Tying Mentors  (Read 2632 times)

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
Fly Tying Mentors
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
Whether they know/knew it or not, who are/were the most influential people to effect your fly tying?

I was fortunate today to be with the two most influential fly tiers in my life, Theodore "Ted" Cabali and Walt Holman. The other most notable to influence my tying especially in designing to catch fish is Capt "Bubby" Rodrigues but he is in Key West and was unable to make the photograph.

Kirk

Bill Heugel

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Fly Tying Mentors
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »
Michael Verduin and Chris Helm.  Michael spent time at our Rendezvous to show me many techniques.  He also was responsible for getting me involved with the various conclaves as a demonstrator.  Although my contact with Chris was not frequent what time I had with him influenced my deer hair tying.  I also used his videos. 

goflies

• Warmwater Fanatic
    • Gulf and Ozark Flies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
At the expense of making him big-headed about it, Bill Heugel has and continues to be my mentor, always looking for the next new thing and inciting me to try it out.  My cousin Randy Sublett up in Mountain Home taught me technique and got me into the tying for money business, at which I've made tens of dollars!

StippledPopper

• Global Moderator
  • Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
. . . at which I've made tens of dollars!

Congratulations on managing to get into The Black!  :)
SP

Near Alligator Bayou in Ascension Parish

Bill Heugel

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Bruce.  You are one of the most creative tiers I have seen.  Always coming up with a new fly that seems to work and is easy to build.

albcorb

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »
I would have to say Jack Gartside influenced me first. Had the opportunity to chat with him the year before he passed.
Armand Courchaine is now pushing me into tying shows and fishing and tying with Ray Bonderow has certainly molded my style of tying.
Both are entertaining to talk with and patient enough to help out where needed.
Can't wait until spring to fish with these guys and others at bass fishing events this year. I will be tying with them over the next month as well.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »
does everyone from louisiana wear either purple or gold undies?  No wonder LSU out-recruits everyone ;) ;)

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
I forgot to mention Ron, Stippled Popper. He has convinced me without a word that popper making is an art not to be rushed; I started seeing his stuff about the time I was starting to take some painting shortcuts. Thanks for grounding me again in my first love in fly tying.

Kirk

Breamchaser

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
My only sit down and show me how mentor is Rex White. He is the one who got me on this slippery slope to making your own flies. I do have a whole bunch of cyber mentors, everyone on this thread and the ones on the tying thread on FAOL. Y'all have shown me more than I will ever be able to use. I tie what works for me but I also enjoy seeing what others do in making flies,streamers,bugs and poppers. Y'all definitely got your STUFF together on fly tieing. Thanks to Rex and all of Y'all for being my mentors, just keep on keeping on, John.
It's not what you do that counts, it's how you do what you do that counts.

Just keep on keeping on.

Rick Zieger

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »
Mike Houger who answered alot of questions for me as I started and Tony Spezio.
Tony helped with many patterns and turned me on to SowBug.

Rick

qualey99

• Warmwater Fanatic
  • 5 lbs, 8 oz
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
My father started me back in 1962.  In answer to Gene's question above, YES, we all wear P&G underwear, glasses, ties, coats, hats, socks, pants, shirts  ;D ;D ;D and most of the flies that I tie are P&G.  And Gene, before you say anything disparaging about our dress code in the Sportsman's Paradise, Uncle Larry has been known for banning people who said bad things about LSU, Purple and Gold, Mardi Gras, Sucking crawfish heads, etc., so tread very lightly on this subject.  This borders on the religion and politics ban that Uncle Larry has.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:18:21 AM by qualey99 »
The enemy of Good is Better.
Life Member, International Federation of Fly Fishers
Vice President for Membership, Gulf Coast Council, IFFF

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
I was just gonna comment that I have been thinking about upgrading my undies and was considering purple or gold; or both; so don't sic UL on me; I'll be a good boy :) 8)

qualey99

• Warmwater Fanatic
  • 5 lbs, 8 oz
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
Purple would look good on you Gene, and UL may give you a discount in the GTFS if you prove you are wearing purple undies.  Now the rest of us don't really need to see that.
The enemy of Good is Better.
Life Member, International Federation of Fly Fishers
Vice President for Membership, Gulf Coast Council, IFFF

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D 8)

Kelly L

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
I would have to say my first mentor was Big Dale. (he is in Texas) He sent me some flies, and I fell in love with streamers then.  He also sent me a bunch of materials.  Big Dale also told me how to make streamer heads the old way, which has been very helpful.  I can do a pretty good painted eye, and glossy head because of him.   Stu here, I would also consider someone who has influenced my tying.  I loved his flies, and his DDH Leech was one of my favorite patterns from the beginning!  He has been very helpful to me, and he inspires me.  Mark Romero took an interest in me, and he inspired me in several avenues.  Bob Petti's work, and articles have been very inspirational to me.  I loved Tom Nixon's work, and he inspired me.  Ivan (Bugman) is a local friend, (along with his wife, also a tyer), they have both inspired me.  So many people have given me materials to feed my obsession.  I started tying in Jan of 2008.  I would say that Mike Boyer's work is very inspirational, although  I doubt seriously if I could ever attain his perfection in tying.  Don Bastian has also been someones work I admire a great deal.  Ray(letumgo) has amazing work too, that I loved.  He ties just about every style there is, and I have always admired his work.   My biggest cheering section to keep me motivated would be Big Dale, Stu, Mick, Bass Bug, and Dave Mac, and Mark R.  I get motivation daily by viewing the work, and creativity of other tyers.  I spend far too much time viewing other people's amazing work.  I am sure there are others I will think about later.  But these are the ones that pop up first in my mind.