Author Topic: Pralines  (Read 469 times)

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
Pralines
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:47 AM »
I've been told these are the best they've ever tasted and am always asked how to make them. So, my son and I put together this little ten minute video on making my pralines. He picked out the jazz music to go along with the vid.

http://youtu.be/UcD4O-fYs5o

Enjoy,
Kirk

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Pralines
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »
You know last year I could of chanced eating one or two..  This year nope.

Had really good pralines in Mississippi in 1960..... 52 years I still remember them and have been disappointed by all that followed...
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Gordon Bryson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
Good video Kirk.  Emerill, eat your heart out!  After watching that, I think I might be able to make some of them.  Is the slow boil temperature really critical?  Guess I need to get a candy thermometer.

Thanks for doing it, and Merry Christmas.

gordon

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
blu, I believe it but I've heard that the only pralines that beat this one is from a Creole mama.

Gordon, the 234  degree "soft ball" stage is critical in my experience. Its best to go a couple degrees above than to take it off the heat below it. Also, its important to bring the pecan mixture back up to that soft ball temp; that Creole mama mentioned above, I was told could do it by eye, but I ain't Creole and certainly ain't no mama.
A candy thermometer is handy but if you have an accurate meat thermometer, just bring it to 234 or 36.

Kirk

Gordon Bryson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  Can't wait to try them.