Author Topic: Granola  (Read 515 times)

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
Granola
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:28:28 AM »
This is a good tasty snack and stores well without refrigeration. It is good to take with you fishing or you can also add milk and eat as a breakfast cereal. I eat a bowl mixed in with plain Greek yogurt and fresh fruit and a little extra honey, every morning for breakfast.

6 cups old fashioned oatmeal (rolled oats)
cup wheat germ (optional)
cup oat bran cereal (optional)
cup flax seed milled (optional)
2 cups nuts (I like a cup of non-roasted, plain almonds and a cup of unsalted sunflower seeds)
1 cup dried fruit
cup honey
cup maple syrup or pancake syrup (optional)
cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar (if omitting the maple syrup, use at least 1 cup brown sugar)
1Tbsp vanilla4 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees

In a small pot, put water, sugar, honey and maple syrup and cook on medium until all the sugar dissolves and is incorporated in t the water. Stir in the vanilla.

Mix the dry ingredients except for the dried fruit in a large bowl.

Pour the liquid from the pot over the dry ingredients and fold thoroughly until all of the ingredients are moist.

Spread mixture evenly on two parchment paper lined cookie sheets with shallow sides.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes and turn the pans and flip flop to the other shelf, unless of course you have a convection oven that heats evenly. This is when you can sprinkle any dry fruit you want to add over the top. I have a hot spot and unless I do this, one of the pans will cook on one side a lot faster than the other. Continue baking for an additional 20 30 minutes.

Take out to cool and store in Ziploc bags or plastic containers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:30:58 AM by Kirk Dietrich »