Author Topic: langley fly rod  (Read 2661 times)

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
langley fly rod
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »
Anyone ever heard of them?  Found this one at an antique shop. Aprox 8 ft, 2 pc, alum down locking reel seat, 1 stripping guide, 4 snake guides & tip top.  Looks to be in very good shape, bairley used.  2 small dents in the cork & missing hook keeper.  Has the orig flannel rod sock.  No weight designation noted, just model #5685.  Any help would be appreciated!

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: langley fly rod
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »
put that on www.fiberglassflyrodders/yuku.com
you'll have access to some of the world's most knowlegeable people about glass rods.  They can help; I've heard of the brand but can't bring up a lot from my memory bank .

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
Thanks gene, i'll look into it more when I get home.  I picked it up for $55.  It's my first vintage rod & in excellent shape.  Can't wait to fish it.

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Zebco bought the company and the reels were the good part from what I read off google search.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Les Jackson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
Smallie_stalker,
I not sure of that model rod, but I would try  6 and 7 weight lines on it to see what makes it work. As far a who made these it could be these five: US Fiberlgass, St Croix, Shakespeare, Pedley, or South Bend - according to Vic Johnson's Fiberglass Fly Rods these were some of the primary OEM manufacturers.

Photos would be great if you have them. 

Although I know very little about the reels, I have a few  Langley fly reels and they're decent vintage reels- you can find them easily enough on ebay. The latch cover seen on many modern reels is a Langley patent. According to my friend Colby Sorrells, Zebco wanted langley for its spinning reel technology, but the De Liar is what made them money on the transaction. I need to Ask Colby about the rods as he is co-writing a book on Langley, and the completion date is nearing...

Jerry Hamon

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »
Vice President/Education - Texas Council IFFF
TFO - Brand Ambassador
President - Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
here are some pics

Zebco bought the company and the reels were the good part from what I read off google search
thats about all I found on google too.  ???
Cast it last night with a 6 weight airflo ridge line.  It performed pretty well bui I thik it may be a 7 weight.  Now to find a appropriate vintage reel  pick a line.  Maybe a courtland Sylk???

Les Jackson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
Beautiful stick- rarely do you find them in such god condition and that reel seat is top notch. Great catch. If it were me I'd look for a Langley Riffle 185 and line it up with Cortland Peach or Sylk in WF7.

Les

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:05 AM »
I was amazed to find a rod in such good shape at an antique shop.  Overall I'm very happy with it.  Thanks for the reel re ommendation.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:01:46 AM »
looking at the texture, color, etc of the rod pictured, my guess it is made by St. Croix as I have a couple of St croix that look identical; including one that is brand new, never fished

Jerry Hamon

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
That is one heck of a beautiful rod!!!
Congrats on such a good find!!!
Vice President/Education - Texas Council IFFF
TFO - Brand Ambassador
President - Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I plan to fish it a little this weekend.  I'll let you know how she handles.  ;D

smallie_stalker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Took her to my buddy's shop today, he & one of his guides checked it out.  The rod has a set to the tip & the tip has been broken off in the past.  Apparently those two incidents were enough for someone to restore it.  Dave said it looks like it was stripped bare, turned over 180 degrees & rebuilt it.  The snake guides are all evenly spaced, the set is pointing up (I never even noticed it) & the reel seat & grip are too new for the age of the rod.  They both said the restoration was first rate & its an excellent rod.  I borrowed theaux's abel super 7n spooled with a wolf 7wt triangle taper tropical line.  The rod is a rocket!  Its gonna be great for throwing poppers to bass & chhoolie stripers!

curtis bias

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
I think it looks like a great rod! Super stuff.
<o)))><