Author Topic: Pontoon boats  (Read 1823 times)

Butch Ammons

• My fishing blog
Pontoon boats
« on: November 23, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »
I just got one of these: http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=195&Cat=3
Cabelas has them on sale for $699. Shipping was $16.
It needs a bit of tweaking, but I like it a lot. I'm going to put a mount for a pedestal bass boat type seat. Being able to sit up higher and swivel will make the trolling motor much easier to use. I took it to Lake Okhissa yesterday. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the lake.

Dane Fuller

Re: Pontoon boats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
Nice rig Butch.  I've got their ODC Sport which is a lot smaller toon.  I'm a "big 'ol boy" and it works just fine for the small tanks and lakes I use it in.  I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

D

DarrinG

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:50:54 AM »
Nice ride Butch! The Flats Raider is a sweet ride.

I have experimented ALOT with raising the seats on toons. I've found that it usually dont work too well if you like your oar handles to be close when pulled in near your chest (like at the end of a stroke on the oars). I prefer my oar handles to be about 5 inches apart when pulled into near my chest. When I raised the seat more that 4 inches, the oars then hit my knees on the stroke. It will still work fine if you dont mind spreading out the oar stops and handles to clear your knees, but I cannot get a good, strong stroke on the oars with mine spread that far, not in rapids anyhow. Some cat frames are made for a raised seat (higher oar towers) to compensate for the raised seat, but most I've found are not.
The rivers I float the most have some class I-III whitewater and I havta navigate them to get between good sections of the river, so a whitewater-ready boat and everything set up for power oar strokes is important to me. If you're on a lake, pond or easy-flowing river it may not matter to you. I noticed you have a trolling motor on there too so the oars may not be that big of a deal to you anyhow.

My oldest daughter has a toon similiar to yours but her's is an Outcast brand...the FishCat Panther. It also has the quad tube desing and floats super-shallow. I'm sure the Flats Raider will tread thin water well too.
Nice ride!

Butch Ammons

• My fishing blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
All I use the oars for is positioning. The trolling motor takes care of the rest...