Author Topic: TFO BVK Fly Rods Product Review  (Read 19227 times)

SearunSimpson

Re: TFO BVK Fly Rods Product Review
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Hey, first post here! I just signed up onto this site after getting back from Hawai'i, and I will say that out there on the bonefish flats, quite a few guys are rockin these rods. I was tempted to pick one up, but thought I'd save my money for the cheap drinks! I first held this rod while in Nervous Waters Flyfishers, the ONLY fly shop in the whole state of Hawai'i which is located in Waikiki, and loved the feel of it.  I already have a TFO series 1 that I bought when TFO first started up, and it was more than great for the bones out there, BUT, I wish I had the newer backbone of the BVK for some of the conditions that Hawai'i can throw at you.

The guys in the shop even said that the new BVK by TFO was going to put the hurt on some of the other major companies, and I agree- great rods, great customer service, and a great price.
I was using a Sage 5wt (not sure which model) for the many small trevally ("Papio") and Barracuda that inhabit the many canals and didn't have an issue (Defs not knocking Sage by any means), but for the price, I'm pretty sure all my future rods are going to be by TFO.

Cheers,

SrS

Rick Nelson

• Warmwater Fanatic
  • bluebill@bis.midco.net
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
SRS,

Welcome to Warm Fly!  Hope you will be a regular here as this is a great place for all things warm water and you won't find a finer collection of helpful, friendly people anywhere.

Interesting input on the BVK series.  I am biased as I own four TFO rods already and am going to try out the BVK this spring.  Lots of good rods out there but I agree that TFO offers exceptional quality that is equal to rods that cost much more. 

Rick
"Any time a man ain't huntin' or fishin, he's fritterin away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

Flyfisher05221970

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
I happen to be the prouwd owner of the 9', 5wt BVK. I have only had it out twice so far. As it stands, 1 small gill and about 15 texas stocker rainbows. The rod casts like a dream with a Cabelas WF5WT floating line. Not one for words when it comes to describing action. I think it loads fine and cast really well. I just borrowed a friends 3wt BVK to try it out to see if I want to replace my cabela's 3WT. I yard casted it this afternoon. Seems a little in the action and not much backbone. Will try it out tomorrow and let everyone know how it does on some more rainbows.

Flyfisher05221970

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »

As stated in earlier post. Took out the 3wt BVK yesturday. I found that it casts a wf3wtf line really nice. I found it hard to get a good hook set with it, hince only 3 small fish out of the 25-30 strikes that I had. I was actually after the rainbows, but take what you can get. Overall the BVK is a very nice rod, with some more fishing I think the 3WT is worth getting. the 5wt I already have, and love. Now just need to try out a 7wt and that will probably finish up flyrod set that I'm looking at. Now just need to figure out what to do about my wife.

Attila

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »
Great info. here. I just got my new TFO BVK 9'8wt today ;D. Havent casted it yet but I needed a better rod than my old Reddington RF2 for bass.Also had one of the older St.Croix rods before they revamped in 7wt. it was way too mushy for throwing heavy flies very far.
mbarker68x-just a thought,maybe with a light rod like that 3wt. and trying to set the hook in a bass's hard mouth requires a different hook setting technique ? I'm not saying you were doing it wrong,just wondering f you were pulling straight back and pulling line or were you lifting the rod while pulling line ? Glad everyone seems to like the BVK's so far because I just spend my money on one.I have a Clouser #8 line on it from another rod,not sure I liked this line too much on the other rod, I may try something else.

Attila

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »
Took my 8wt. out today for the first time since I got it over a month ago. Did some trout fishing in the morning with a lighter rod then headed to the pond to cast my BVK. Well it is ALOT better than my old rod was. This handles and casts as well as everyone says they do. ;D
I almost caught some gills too,but they werent co-operating today.

kayak

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »
I got to cast a 10wt BVK yesterday,that rod is a rocket launcher.I'm trying to find a reason I need a 10wt.I could manage an 8wt,but dont honestly know what I would do with a 10,BUT I WANT ONE REALLY BAD!!!!!!!

Tom Jindra

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
You could buy it just because?

OK, seriously ... if you fish in the salt, a 10-weight has several obvious applications. The applications aren't quite so obvious if you live inland, but there are three aspects worth considering:

1) Distance. A 10-weight will let you throw far in difficult wind conditions, even farther in good conditions. Think of it as the .50-caliber Browning of fly-fishing.

2) Big flies. A 10-weight will throw big flies like nothing else. We have a tendency to think of fly-fishing as an ultralight sport and forget there are times when bigger is better. I spoke to a fellow who fished a tournament this past weekend on Toledo Bend, and he took the largest bass of the weekend (over 8 pounds) by throwing a plastic frog in four feet of water. Using a 10-weight, you could have thrown comparable bugs with ease.

3) Getting deep. If you're serious about fishing deep, especially in current or with big flies, you want a 10-weight for handling the appropriate sinking lines. Yes, you can use sinking lines on lighter rods, but I'm talking about lines in the range of 450 to 550 grains. Nothing delicate about this kind of fishing; these lines will sink like a rock.

Whether any of that applies to your fishing, beats me. But maybe it does.

kayak

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I think I've solved my problem,I'll get an 8wt and a 10wt.

Butch Ammons

• My fishing blog
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »
Larry brought an 8 wt. to the RSFF meeting last week. I really like my Sage fli 8 wt, but the BVK just blew me away. Super lightweight and just as fast as my Sage. Check the classifieds, I'm selling off some stuff for financing. I'm going to be getting some BVK's!

Jerry Hamon

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »
I'm waiting for TFO to get the 3wt conversion kits back in stock and send me a demo BVK rod/reel combo.
I really want to give one a fling!!!
Vice President/Education - Texas Council IFFF
TFO - Brand Ambassador
President - Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club

Dave R

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
I had the opportunity to cast both the BVK and Professional in an 8wt. I liked the BVK, but seemed to be able to cast the Pro a bit more efficiently for both distance and accuracy.

Dave
"I think perhaps the lasting charm of fishing is in the pace of the sport and the fish themselves. " Roderick Haig - Brown.

Tom Jindra

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
I liked the BVK, but seemed to be able to cast the Pro a bit more efficiently for both distance and accuracy.
Just goes to show there is no perfect rod action. Each caster is different, which is why we offer a variety of rods with a variety of actions.

Boyscout

• Warmwater Fanatic
    • Dereks Fly Tying Workshop
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
My favorite rods are all over 15 years old so I don't keep up with the latest and never even thought about the TFO BVK. I have a Pro that I love dearly but I figured the BVK was maybe a little better but nothing to write home about.

However, this morning we started a smallie river float and my best pal forced a 9' 8 wt BVK in my hand and demanded I cast it. Since it was my best fishing bud, I tied on a big wind resistant hair bug and started casting. Shiver me timbers and sink me for a lubber, but folks, that was an eye opener of epic poportions! That rod absolutely rocks!

I easily casted 20 feet farther without even thinking about it. And when they say it is a light rod, they ain't just whistling Dixie. I don't know about the other weights but the 8 wt BVK is so light that it feels like a 6 wt. You could cast it all day long no problemo!

The BVK in 8 wt is THE BOMB! It will be my next rod.

Nuff said.

Sumo

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Release of the BVK # 7, Tarariras ( Hoplias malabaricus ), the South American Bass.

7,5 pounds

6,5 pounds

5,5 pounds

Release of the BVK # 5

Regards.