Author Topic: Swap Etiquette  (Read 1463 times)

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
Swap Etiquette
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:01 AM »
As a first time Swapmiester, I've got a question:
When participants tie more flies than there are participants, (not talking about flies the sender may include specificially for the swapmiester), do you keep them or mail them back to the tier?
If I keep them, I'm afraid the tiers will think, "what gall he has stealing my extra flies".
If I mail them back, I'm afraid the tiers will think, "does he not think my flies are worth stealing that he is mailing them back to me".
I know its crazy, but it seems a dilema to me.

Kirk

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Swap Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »
keep em; most tyers are gonna send a "just in case" extra one, or two.  The swapmaster deserves a little extra for their effort; most will agree. :)

smalliestalker

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »
I agree with Gene...I have participated in many swaps...Usually the people involved make extras for the swap meister....As a thanks for leading the swap....

Jerry Hamon

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
A motion and a second for keeping them.

I vote "keep them"!!!
Vice President/Education - Texas Council IFFF
TFO - Brand Ambassador
President - Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club

Hairstacker

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:49:10 AM »
Having participated in over a dozen swaps on a couple of boards and having hosted several myself, I agree with what everyone has said with one exception:  If there are extra flies because folks have dropped out of the swap along the way, then it is not uncommon for the swapmeister to put it up for vote what to do with the extra flies that result.  Aside from that exception, it is entirely safe to assume any extra flies were intended for the swapmeister as a "thank you" for hosting even though they didn't comment as such.
-- Mike

Just me and that bass bug sitting out there. . . .

Tom Waits

• Warmwater Fanatic
    • Waits Hackle and Tackle
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
Good question Kirk,
I agree with the others too and do not expect to see my own flies come back to me. I really appreciate the efforts of anyone willing to host a swap.
Thanks,
Tom

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning in that direction. I received some extra flies that were noted as "for swapmiester" but also, some boxes contained a dozen flies and we only had 10 people sign up and some of those with a note to me also contained a dozen. Well, that is a benefit I can live with!!

Kirk

Rick Zieger

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
IN the swapsw I have run, Iwill aks the swappers what they want to do with the flies.

Keep any extrasof mine that come in the box.

Rick

Norm Frechette

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:58:51 AM »
i usually tie some extras for the swapmeister as a thank you for hosting the swap.

so in the future, any swap i participate in, please keep the extras.  ;)
A *new* pattern  HAS to solve a problem, otherwise itís probably just a copy of something else - Charlie Craven

Flytying: New & Old