Author Topic: Cypert Minnow  (Read 2671 times)

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
Cypert Minnow
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »
Named after veteran fly fisher and tyer Charley Cypert these are excellent white bass flies; easy to tie and pretty tuff.  I went to Hobby lobby and got the material in the pic.  The  Stretch Magic makes a nice translucent body with the braid ovr the top and bottom.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Cypert Minnow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
maybe a little better pic.

Thomas Conley

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »
I made a slew of them for white bass and to tell the truth I never did very well with them.  They look like yours in the pictures, so it can't be the fly it must be me and the way I'm fishing them.  I do make a minnow pattern that works well though.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »
I've found that white bass are sometimes fickle; if they're feeding on 2 inch shad almost any fly that resembles a shad they will take, as long as its the right length.  One time we had to use 3 inch bucktail jigs; the little 2 inch stuff just wouldn't produce; sometimes they'l hit gold, other times they wouldn't touch gold.  I think its the length and the profile more than anything else, but I had my buddy beat the tar out of me with pink clousers; natcherly I had no pink, but they wouldn't hit white, yellow, or chartreuse.  I think thets why we tie more than 1 fly. :)

Kelly L

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
Gene it is good to see what you used.  I have stretch magic.  You put that over the braid?  I used a mylar tubing for mine, and they just weren't the right size, and made the fly look kinda ugly.  I also did some similar in my own style, and like them a little better.  I used heavier eyes though, and used Aleene's Fabric Fushion on them to coat them for protection.  I should add that I teased out the EZ Body and mylar tubing, but thought the flashabou looked better for these.  I made some more Cypert Minnow looking flies as I said, but they didn't look good at all to me.  I didn't have the chenille thick enough, and my tubing was a little wide.

I will try to buy what you did with that braid and see if it looks better.  Thanks for posting these, I have high hopes for them for white bass especially.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:59:32 PM by Kelly L »

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
I wrapped a strand of flashabou around the hook shank first, then followed with a tight wrapping of the stretch magic stuff.  The gold and silver braid is only $1.99 for 6 foot, which will make a zillion flies.  The silver braid is hard to find as the Tyler store is always out of it; I suspect more than one tyer is frequenting the store :) Cutting the braid and using a more flimsy but flashy tail should work as well, like the one in you pic.

Kelly L

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:43:07 AM »
I was just going to say I am going to look for that stuff today.    It would be cheaper than the mylar tubing I did try on this fly.  Thanks for the info on this Gene.  I already have the Stretch Magic, I just bought it not long ago, but haven't used it yet since I have been working on the poppers.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:01:53 AM »
Charley used to use the t-shirt paint in the middle; just tie the braid in place, then put some of that "puff paint" in the void in the center.

Kelly L

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:55 AM »
I used Aleene's Fabric Fushion to protect these flies.  The Stretch Magic seems a nice way to go too, I need to try it out anyway.

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
Nice add some wire and let me try a couple thru the ice. About 2 weeks of ice left here I think.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
send me your address again in a pm and I'll send you a couple.with lead to make em sink faster.

Kelly L

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
Gene, Hobby Lobby had ONE roll of the braid today.  I was very excited.  I got another roll of something similar, and will try it too.  The other one I got was Gold Spot Braid that had 50% metallic yarn, and 50% polyester.  It was wider then the other so it may not work.  Or I might can double it and use it that way.  They were on for half price, so I got two rolls for the price of one...not a bad deal at all.

James Christian

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
Gene,Those you talked about that were pink were they mylar?
Skin that One Pilgrim ,and i'll getcha another one!

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
no, he was using a pink marabou tail; but he can beat me catching fish using chewing gum on a plain hook :)