Author Topic: A Question On Rod Wrapping  (Read 1537 times)

Gordon Bryson

• Warmwater Fanatic
A Question On Rod Wrapping
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
Just saw the photos of Roger's Phillipson.  Beautiful job Rog.  Didn't want to pirate that thread in Classic Rods, so here's my question.  I've noticed many more experienced rod builders and refurbishers put dual color wraps on the guides.  Do you wrap the accent color (just a few turns) first, then capture the thead with the next color, wrap up the foot, and then do the finishing wrap (i.e., pull the thread back under itself)?  I really like the two color wraps, but not sure of the technique.  Your comments will be appreciated.  I'm not planning on a rod build, but have a friends old bamboo that I'm goint to refurbish.

gene bethea

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: A Question On Rod Wrapping
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »
Gordon:  lots of different ways to skin that cat!  There are numerous threads over on www.rodbuilding.com; and .org that deal with one turn accent wraps; two turn, 4 turn, 6 turn, etc. Some tie the primary color, epoxy that then add the accent; others do it all at once; I tie the wraps that hold the guides, then come back and tie the accent wraps.  I used to bring tha accent thread under the primary thread, but it was a pain.  Some even use superglue to hold the accent wrap.

Roger Stouff

• Warmwater Fanatic
    • Native Waters
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »
Gord,
It's a tricky, frustrating proposition!
I haven't mastered it. I can do a four-turn wrap OK, but the smaller ones are tough. I've managed a few 2-turns, but it was a pain.
Here's what I do for bamboo, particularly the older ones that had wider wraps than today.
I set up the wrap as normal, but don't cut the tag end. I make my four turns (or whatever number you feel comfortable with) then pull the thread under with my loop. What you end up with is both tag ends protruding, and you can gently tug on them to tighten the wrap and pack it. Make sure to tighten from the direction that the tags are running. The tricky part then is trimming them. I use a new razor blade, hold the tag end tight, and gentle trim it flush with the wraps. For the other tag, I gently slide the razor edge up against the wrap, perpendicular to the blank, and gently roll it over the tag to cut it.
This doesn't always work, and you have to start over!
If you end up with a slight nub, it'll disappear under a few coats of varnish, and you can trim it down when the varnish hardens enough. Then finish it out as normal,
Hope this helps,
R
"One day, standing in a river with my fly rod, I'll have the courage to admit my life." - Jim Harrison

www.native-waters.com

Gordon Bryson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
Thanks Roger and Gene.  I've just got home from a church mission trip to the Beaumont area to work on Hurricane Ike damaged houses and haven't had any time to check this out.  Hopefully, I'll give both Roger's suggestion and look at what the rodbuilding sites say also.
I'll let you know how I progress.

John G. White

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
Just had a great hint from Mudhole's video on accent strips that really makes it easy, for I had tried Gene's idea of coming under the guide wrap and almost gave up on a great hobby. What they do is tape a q-tip with the ends clipped to the rod, then turn as many wraps as you wish over that

Ralph Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:42:51 AM »
I've built rods for several years and the best way I've found for trim wraps is to tie the trim wraps as a nailknot using a loop of thread as the nail. I like 3 & 5 turn trim.