Author Topic: Parnelli's Rod Wrapping Equipment with Photos!  (Read 1081 times)

Steven H. McGarthwaite

• Warmwater Fanatic
Parnelli's Rod Wrapping Equipment with Photos!
« on: October 11, 2008, 06:57:12 AM »
Here are photos of my rod wrapping and rod turning equipment, that I made.

Above is the Rear stand, it has a larger diameter notch, for holding the  butt end of the rod with its reel seat, and handle grip.  The inside of all my rod building/turning stands have the felt portion of velcro strips to reduce abrasion, while wrapping and turning.

This is  above is one of two forward stands,  the notch is smaller than the rear stand. All three stands have a marble base plate, which I bought at Home Depot, they are just individual marble floor tiles.  I can place them anywhere I want when wrapping the fly rod, and when I am turninig the rod.  They will not move, they stay were they are placed.

Above is the holder for the spool of thread for wrapping the guides, there is a tension control for adjusting the thread tension.  There is also a lead wieght  to hold it in position, and for cutting thread.

Above is my motor stand for rod turning.  I can have my whole rod assembled and turning while I apply the epoxy to the thread wraps.  I set-up my furled leader board,on saw horses.  Once the expoxy has been applied, I just turn off the lights in my room, shut the door,and come back few hours later when the epoxy has harden. ~Parnelli
The man who said, you cannot buy happiness, never bought a fly rod!

Harold Krause

• Warmwater Fanatic
Re: Parnelli's Rod Wrapping Equipment with Photos!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the photos Steven. Very nice set up. The marble is a great idea. I guess that is another fun part about building rods....building your own tools to build them with!  ;D