Author Topic: Dennison Fly reels  (Read 3294 times)

Andy Webb

• Warmwater Fanatic
Dennison Fly reels
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
Has anyone used a Dennison fly reel? I wonder about their durability. The price is right, but I wonder....Let me know.
Andy

Andy Jurco

Re: Dennison Fly reels
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »
i wish i would have seen this before i posted a new thread ....  ::)

i found a favorite link from this forum that has a link from it's favorite forum to Dennison fly reels ..
http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/344/t/Dennison-Fly-Reels.html

nobody must have tryed them on a small 2 weight flyrod ???

Les Jackson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »
Andy,
Those reels would work just fine on a two weight.

Les

Andy Jurco

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
Les,

thanks for the post buddie i just found it ...

and i agree i bought a Dennison and they are a great little reel ...
i have been fishing it for about 5 trips to the lake now and not a single problem at all ..

sweeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gabreamguy

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
i plan on getting the fly reel and the spinning reel for my 3 ul wgt.  just got to save up for it.

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
I got one it has a funny grab on retrieve but is smooth releasing line. I assume its a free spooling stop thing?
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Les Jackson

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:39 AM »
Blu,
It's not a clicker- it's more or a reincarnation of the old Ocean City 76 silent drag models sans adjustable knob. The side plate puts spring pressure to bear like brake on a round disc attached to the spool. And you're correct more of a "free spool prevention" application.

Les

David Gale

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »
I hae a Dennison Micro reel on a 4'8" 0000 wt rod that was custom built for me.  It works with either a Sage QDT 000 line or it works just casting 30# backing that I treated with floatant....hence why it is called a 0000.  The 000 Sage line, is slightly over lined.  It has been my goto rod for small stream trout fishing here in Idaho.  Next year it will get a sunfish workout and I'll post about it.

The reel has no clicker but has enough friction to prevent over spooling.  It is nicely made.  I plan on another one so I can keep one loaded with the 000 Sage Line (Holds about a third the line plus some backing), then I can have another one with just the backing on it, which I can cast to 20 feet with no effort and it lands light as a feather.  It just doesn't roll cast too good, hence why I have it set up with a Sage 000.

blufloyd

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:43:41 PM »
Nice pix, David.   Not happy with the rain and mud or cool temps that are keeping the Whip on the shelf.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977