Author Topic: Spoon flies for bluegill  (Read 4708 times)

Doxadude

Spoon flies for bluegill
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »
The other day I was at the bench and got to thinking... Dangerous, I know... about spoon flies for freshwater applications.  Anyone who has dunked a spoonfly in the warm but salty water for redfish can tell you how great they are. 

Well, I didn't feel like messing with the epoxy for something so small but I thought why not try nail polish....err... I meant head cement  ::)  Anyway started with a size 12 scud hook.  I tied a little pearl flashabou for a tail and a couple of long strands to out line the "spoon" and for the body.  I wrapped the body strands forward to the head and then pulled the strands I left for the body forward and left a spoon outline and tied them off and finished the head.  I then coated the whole thing with the head cement filling in the area between the flashabou outline and the hook...viola...spoonfly! 

A couple of things about head cement... it takes too long to dry... next time I'll use epoxy.  It's also not very durable as I found out.  After about a dozen gills and a very small LM bass it broke off one of the sides. 

The fly itself has great action.  It flutters as it falls and got some killer strikes I think because of this action.  I didn't really need to do much stripping.  Because it is hard the gills would spit it out quickly if you were not paying attention to it but otherwise seemed to work great.  I'll have to sit down and tie a few more up and post some pics. 

I'm certain I cannot be the first person to think of this.  Anybody else try this??

Johnny Diamond

Re: Spoon flies for bluegill
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:13 AM »
Damn what a good idea !!  I'll try some too.

This is certainly one of those ideas that make you slap your forehead and say, "DOH!!".

Johnny Diamond

flytyer

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
Check out this link. here's a different idea for a spoon fly!    ;D http://www.bazzflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625
Lynn

Bill Malec

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »
Fake fingernails:

O     M       G!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:05:14 PM by Bill Malec »
West Tennessee

Clyde Pullen

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
Spoons:  From my reading and experience I have found at least 4 ways to make spoons:
1.  Fake Finger Nail [as suggested].
2.  Reflective Tape [made to put on plugs/metal spoons].
3.  Large, Ex. L. Mylar Braid --spread out, epoxied.
4.  Form the Edges of the spoon out of Mono -- fill in with epoxy.  [never tried this].
   Any other suggestions??    ???
In His Love,
Clyde
Keep your line wet!  <br />In His Love,<br />Clyde

Robin Rhyne

• Furled Leaders Are Sweetness On The Water
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »
That's all pretty nifty!

Thomas Conley

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »
Shoot I have a hard enough time fishing regular flies let alone spoon flies.  I've never tied a spoon fly but have tied a slew of other flies over the years.  These are different type flies and I'm sure one must fish them different also by adjusting ones retrieve.  Wonder what type of retrieve that would be though?

Doxadude

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 06:35:33 AM »
I would let it fall then do a long slow strip... then let it fall again... etc.

the gills would usually hit it on the fall and the LMBs would usually hit it on the strip.

Thomas Conley

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 10:02:23 AM »
After giving this fly some thought I have revised my thoughts and believe your spoon fly is a winner.  Heck I may even go out and but some fake fingernails, to tie with not to wear.  Anyway nice innovating tying. 

b.giller

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »
Do fake nails float? I wonder if you could mold the spoon out of a mc donalds straw. Say split the straw cut out 2 spoon patterns and sandwich the hook inbetween then epoxy it all up! This might (might!!) make the fly less buoyant and yet lighter for less leader twist, maybe!!!
Passion makes practice easy!
I like all fish small & large!
Im about to fish all over myself! When we going?!

Clyde Pullen

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:44:18 PM »
B Giller...  Never thought of a Straw for the basis of a spoon... Might work... Give it a test run and report on your findings... Thanks... ???
    I have seen several patterns using the bending portion of the straw for the shell backs of Shrimp & Crawfish patterns.   ;)
   Also, one person used the large straw that has the "bend" for the entire length-- Cut it into and used it to mold "Dap" or "Silcone" [maybe something eles] to form the shell backs of Shrimp / crawfish patterns.     ;D
   Now, if someone would just make Straws in various "Fish Colors.."  that would be a winner.
  Let us know how it turns out... o.k.??
  Thanks, 
   IN His Love,
    Clyde
Keep your line wet!  <br />In His Love,<br />Clyde

Kirk Dietrich

• Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 07:29:35 PM »
Wal-Mart has them in an assorted pack, we get them for the kids, I think the colors are purple, pink, insect green, and maybe yellow.

Might not be the syle you're looking for they are the kind with the accordian towards one end to bend it.

Kirk

Greg Hunsicker

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »
Saw a cool spoon fly today at the local Bass Pro Shop.  The spoon was fashioned from a piece of sheet mylar.  Looked pretty cool.

Greg

rebeason

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
I have in the past used the metal (brass) painted ladybugs or beetles for bluegills, when the paint would wear off they were like a spoon and then begin to attract bass along with the bluegills.
Richard

StippledPopper

• Global Moderator
  • Warmwater Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
  Here are two panfish spoons I painted that were shaped by Jimmy Mayeux.  The spoons were
created making a wire rim on the hook shank and filling the space between with epoxy.

SP

Near Alligator Bayou in Ascension Parish